Mesothelioma is a preventable cancer impacting approximately 2500 to 3000 people per year in the United States. Because of the rarity of the cancer there is less information and statistical analysis publically available. We’ve put together ten statistics from around the web to help shed some light on mesothelioma.
- Exposure: Between 3% and 10% of those who were repeatedly and heavily exposed to asbestos will develop pleural mesothelioma
- Latency: It typically takes between 10 and 50 years for mesothelioma symptoms to occur
- Gender: Men are more than four times more likely to be diagnosed with mesothelioma than women
- Race: 95% of all mesothelioma patients are white. Hispanics are diagnosed more frequently then African Americans or Asians
- Age: People older than 60 are ten times more likely to be diagnosed than those under 40
- Type: Approximately 70-80%% of all mesothelioma diagnosis are pleural which impacts the lining of the lungs. The next common type is peritoneal which accounts for approximately 15-20% of all diagnoses.
- Clinical Trials: The United States conducts the greatest number of clinical trials on mesothelioma in the world at 166. The United Kingdom comes in #2 with 28 trials and Italy takes the #3 spot with 25.
- Survival Times: 40% of mesothelioma patients survive for at least 1 year, 20% for at least 2 years, 10% for 3 years, and 8% after 5 years
- Lives Claimed: Mesothelioma has claimed approximately 37,000 American lives from 1999 - 2013
- Exposure Type: The most common type of exposure is occupational. The occupation most impacted by mesothelioma is Military exposure. Approximately one third of all mesothelioma cases involve veterans
The Paul Law Firm advocates for victims of asbestos-related diseases. If you or a loved one is suffering from mesothelioma, call the Paul Law Firm. With over 2.5 billion dollars collected for victims of asbestos exposure, we have the knowledge and the experience to fight for you. We also understand that fighting doesn’t just happen in the courtroom. It also happens in a lab where we are fighting for a cure. Check out the Mesothelioma Research Foundation of America here.
Call us today at 1-855 88 LEGAL (885-3425) or contact us online to discuss your case with one of our experienced mesothelioma lawyers